At UNC Greensboro, we believe that supporting our military-affiliated students is about more than helping them navigate your VA benefits. We believe in a culture of care for our veterans, service members, and their families and we provide an array of support services that reflects the diversity of their needs.

First Steps

To attend UNC Greensboro, you must:

Out of State Tuition (Choice Act and Yellow Ribbon)

Residency Determination (Choice Act and Yellow Ribbon)

If a military-affiliated student is classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes, but is using: Chapter 30 MGIB,  Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation, Chapter 33 Post-911 VA benefits, or Chapter 35 Dependent Education Assistance  they may still be eligible for in-state tuition under Section 702 of the Veterans Choice Act.

On June 23, 2015, Senate Bill 478 was enacted to conform North Carolina law with the Choice Act, thereby creating NC General Statute §116–‐143.3A, which, on July 9, 2015, the VA certified as being compliant with the Choice Act.

  • Effective August 1, 2021, provision 1005 removes the requirement for covered individuals to enroll in a course at a public institution of higher learning within three years of being discharged to receive in-state tuition. 

To apply for in-state residency under the Choice Act click here.

If you apply for the Choice Act but are found to be ineligible, you may still be eligible to receive funding through the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Contact the MAS office to learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program.