The question of how to pay for a college education is one that almost everyone faces at some point in their lives.  Fortunately, there are many funding options for military-affiliated students.  Typically, students are able to use any financial aid, including scholarships, along with VA education benefits.  When in doubt about what you qualify for or what you can use together, don’t be afraid to ask!

There are many local and national scholarships or grants available to military or military family member students!  This list is not all-inclusive, nor should it be considered an endorsement of any one organization over another.  These are scholarships or grants that we have been made aware of and wish to pass along to you.  Please contact a member of the Military-Affiliated Services team if you need further assistance pursuing options to fund your education.

North Carolina Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans is available to some North Carolina residents based on criteria set by the North Carolina Department of Military and Veterans Affairs.

UNC Greensboro Student Affairs – The Division of Student Affairs administers multiple scholarships, please see the link for various scholarships, eligibility, application process, and timelines.

NC Patriot Star Family Recovery Scholarship – NCPSFRSP provides scholarships for eligible family members of fallen or disabled veterans or injured service members to attend postsecondary institutions to remediate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Applicants must be residents of North Carolina attending or planning to attend a North Carolina institution and meet certain income criteria.

American Legion – The American Legion offers a number of scholarships and other resources to assist young people in their pursuit of higher education.  There are opportunities for everyone, including kin of wartime veterans and participants in Legion programs.

AMVETS – Four scholarships for Veterans, Active Duty, Guard/Reserves; Two for children/grandchildren of veterans, active duty, Guard/Reserves.

Veterans of Foreign War – Citizen of United States, retired or honorably discharged veteran, or a member of the National Guard or Reserve; have or separated with a military rank of E-5 or below, see link for additional requirements.

Folds of Honor – Dependent or Spouse of a Service Member – Applicant must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a program of study at an accredited college or university (2 year, 4 year, or post graduate program), or enrolled or planning to enroll in an accredited technical or trade school program, which results in a certificate or license.

Maj. Gen. James Ursano Scholarship Program for Military Children – Children pursuing an undergraduate degree who meet eligibility criteria may receive assistance for up to four academic years.

Mrs. Patty Shinseki Spouse Scholarship Program – Spouses pursuing an undergraduate degree or professional certification may receive assistance for up to four academic years of full-time study or eight academic years of part-time study.

 Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. To check the most current payment rates for the Fry Scholarship please click here.

Fisher House Foundation Scholarship – These scholarships are for military children offered through the Fisher House Foundation.  Fisher House Foundation is best known for a network of comfort homes where military and veterans’ families can stay at no cost while a loved one is receiving treatment.  These homes are located at major military and VA medical centers nationwide, close to the medical center or hospital they serve.

Military Personnel/Dependent Scholarship –Persons on active duty in the uniformed military services, honorably discharged U.S. military veterans (including Reservists and National Guard personnel), disabled veterans, and their spouses or dependents

National Military Family Association – Application period starts December 1 each year through January – Must have valid military spouse ID.

Purple Heart Scholarship – A competitive scholarship program that awards approximately 80 scholarships to Purple Heart Recipients and their spouses, children, and grandchildren each year.

Boren Awards for International Study (Foreign Language Study) – The Boren Awards emphasize less commonly taught languages and long-term linguistic and cultural study, as well as research and academic internships abroad. Study of a foreign language appropriate to the country or region is an integral part of each Boren Scholar and Fellow’s plan.

Pat Tillman Scholarship – Open to Veterans, Active Duty, Spouses, Survivor Spouses; pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees.

Google – SVA Scholarship – Entering Junior or Senior year of Undergraduate study or enrolled in a graduate program for the upcoming academic year; Full time students at Accredited Four Year Institute, must also be  studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or closely related technical field

ThanksUSA Scholarship – Dependent children age 24 and under or spouse of US Service personnel

Pre-MBA Veteran Student Scholarships – A variety of scholarships available to MBA students

Veteran Car Donations Annual Scholarship– To qualify, undergraduate students must be majoring in a STEM field of study (or related field) as well as attending an accredited college or university.

Scholly – This is a one-time fee app or website-based program that you input your information (demographics and program interests) and it gives you a list of scholarships you are eligible for, and much more.

These scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit rather than financial need.

Army ROTC: Phone: 888-550-ARMY (888-550-2769), Website:

Air Force ROTC: Phone: 866-4-AFROTC (866-423-7682), Website:

Navy ROTC: Phone: 800-NAV-ROTC (800-628-7682), ext. 29395, Website:

The purpose of the VA Bridge Loan is to provide one time funds for a first time or a recently deployed returning student who is a veteran and whose stipend check/ VA benefits have been delayed.

Students may be eligible for a bridge loan if:

  • They are a first-time or recently deployed returning student veteran
  • Their VA benefits will be delayed
  • They have no other means of income or ability to pay living expenses


  • Student will complete the application at the UNCG Financial Aid Office.
  • Financial Aid will determine the amount allowed for the loan.
  • The Financial Aid Office will send a copy of the application to the Third Party Billing Representative in the Cashier’s Office for final approval. Verification that the bill and the bridge loan can be repaid will be determined.
  • Once approved by both offices, the student will be notified and will receive Bridge Loan funds.  This can typically be done in the same day.

All bridge loans must be repaid within the current semester.

If a student feels that they would benefit from a bridge loan, but their situation falls outside the parameters of the policy, a student can submit an appeal to be reviewed by Financial Aid.

Come Relax and Connect

Helpful Links

Contact Us

Our Office
150 Spring Garden Apartments
1540 Spring Garden Street
Greensboro, NC 27412



Share This