Follow the steps on the Main Education Benefits page. For information about the types of educational benefits for which you may qualify, check out the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits page at

Typically, it takes the VA six to eight weeks to process new applications.  Once your application for GI Bill benefits has been approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).  Once you have submitted your certificate of eligibility and Request for Class Certification Form, new applicants should expect to receive their first check eight to 12 weeks from the time the enrollment certification is sent or classes begin. You will receive a confirmation email from the VA once the UNCG VA Certifying Official submits your enrollment certification.

For retroactive requests, students are usually paid from the first day of class or eligibility period. Continuing students should receive checks more quickly, provided there have not been any changes to their plan of study or changes to their schedule. It is imperative that students notify the MAS Office about any changes that would affect your benefits.

Yes! It is a common misconception that students receiving educational benefits are not eligible for financial aid. This is simply not true. You are eligible to apply for financial aid as any other student would. Even if you receive additional VA Veteran Readiness & Employment (Ch 31) assistance, you may be eligible for financial aid. Check out the Financial Aid Web site for more information about applying for aid.

Elective credit for military training may be awarded where UNC Greensboro has comparable courses and upon receipt of an official American Council of Education transcript. Your Joint Services Transcript can be requested here.

No, any Veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

In most cases, your benefits will continue upon your return. Please contact the MAS Office for more information.

Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Students must adhere to the Academic Standards Policy of the University. Students will be terminated for VA purposes if academically suspended. UNCG notifies the VA within thirty days of any change in status or failure to meet satisfactory progress. Typically a student only has to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to remain in good academic standing, but a sudden, dramatic drop in GPA may cause academic probation.

No, but the amount of benefits you receive is directly proportional to the number of credits you take with the exception of chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551.

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL (1-888-442-4551) or Visit and go to 1.) Questions and Answers or go to your 2.) Wave Account (If you have not set one up, be sure to do so).

Complete and submit the Request for Class Certification Form.

Yes! With the exception of Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 31 VA VR&E, and the Tuition Assistance Program, students are responsible for their own tuition and fees. VA benefits are a monthly allotment that gets paid via check or direct deposit.

Yes, possibly. Check out the MyCAA program at

Come Relax and Connect

Helpful Links

Contact Us

Our Office
150 Spring Garden Apartments
1540 Spring Garden Street
Greensboro, NC 27412



Share This